The 2021 International Potluck Party (国際ポットラックパーティー): Friday, November 26th from 12 noon until 1:30 PM in Room 502.
The International Potluck Party is an annual event for and by the General Students at LIFE Jr. College. “Potluck” means each participant cooks a small dish of food to be shared, so other participants can try. “International” means Foreign food only; NO Japanese or Okinawan food is allowed. Additionally, it is not at all a coincidence that this event coincides with the Thanksgiving Holiday in the United States of America.
The purpose of International Potluck Party event is as follows:
- To give students an opportunity to try foreign dishes so as to help them prepare to travel overseas and/or to study/work abroad.
- To give students an opportunity to research recipes in English and follow directions. This is an English lesson.
- To give students an opportunity to experience American culture because this class event coincides with the Thanksgiving holiday.
- To give students an opportunity to practice cooking. Being able to cook for oneself is an important step toward independence and away from dependence. This is a lesson in maturity.
- To give students an opportunity to socialize with classmates and teachers in a non-class atmosphere. This is to help develop their interpersonal/communicative skills; a human lesson. To also give teachers an opportunity to socialize and build relationships.
- To give students an opportunity to relax and have fun with each other. To help create fond memories of their school life.
Presently, participants to the International Potluck Party will be bring the following food:
Shoyu Ahi Poke (Hawaii), Hummus (Middle East), Topokki (Korea), Sancocho (Latin America), Chicken Cacciatore (Italy), Tandoori Chicken (India), Caramelized Pork (Vietnam), Alu Chana Fry (Nepal), Chebureki (Russia / Central Asia), Bagels (Poland), Fried Rice (China), Potato Salad (Germany), Green Salad (Ancient Rome/Greece/Persia/India), Pound Cake (Northern Europe), Custard Pudding (Southern Europe)
It appears the International Potluck Party will again be a total success as it has been in years gone by. Don’t you wish you were a student here?
As the Coronavirus pandemic continues worldwide, LIFE Jr. College will certainly do its best to help stop the spread of the virus. The health and safety of all students, faculty, staff and visitors of LIFE Jr. College are of the upmost importance. Stay safe and take care of each other.